Sun's Revised Blogging Policy (AKA Guidelines on Public Discourse)
By lskrocki on May 09, 2008
The revision was a collaborative effort between Sun representatives from HR, Legal, Export, Privacy, Trademark, IP, Tim Bray, and myself.
To be honest, I went into the revision effort expecting to defend the document as tho' it were The Constitution, but I'm happy to report that the spirit of the document was eagerly preserved by everyone involved.
Here is a full summary of the revisions:
1. The title includes the term Guidelines instead of Policy (links to related Sun policies are provided in the document)
2. The content is no longer blogging-centric since the meaning scales nicely to cover other community sites (Forums, Wikis, Mediacast, Planets, etc.)
3. It includes additional guidelines that cover:
- Not commenting on Sun legal matters
- Links to related Sun policies for easy reference
- Professional behavior as a Sun representative in virtual worlds
- Disclosing your Sun relationship when writing about Sun related topics
- Community moderation
- Proper use of other people's information