Wednesday Jan 08, 2014
Thursday Mar 22, 2012
By Lenz Grimmer on Mar 22, 2012
ISO images of the Oracle Linux installation media as well as individual binary RPMs (and the sources) of major and minor releases (Updates) have always been freely available for download, use and distribution, ever since we started the Oracle Linux support program.
We're now taking this a step further: in addition to the above, we will now also provide updated packages or errata for free from separate yum repositories on http://public-yum.oracle.com. If you would like to keep your Oracle Linux system up to date, you can now do so by subscribing your system to the respective "_latest" repository for your distribution, e.g. "ol6_latest" for Oracle Linux 6. See the installation instructions on the public yum front page and the "How to subscribe to the free Oracle Linux errata yum repositories" article on the OTN Garage blog for details on how enable these repositories and to obtain the updates.
If you would like to also receive free updates to the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel Release 2, make sure to enable the "[ol6_UEK_latest]" repository as well - updates to the kernel will be made available from this separate channel until it is included in the next set of installation media.
Now what does this mean for Oracle Network Support? Getting access to the updates and errata was just one part of the offering – the following benefits will be available with an Oracle Linux Support Subscription only:
- Full indemnification against intellectual property claims.
- Use of base functionality in Enterprise Manager 12c for Linux and Enterprise Manager OpsCenter for provisioning, patching, management and monitoring of Oracle Linux
- Access to additional software channels on the Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) (e.g. DTrace beta releases or ASMLib support packages)
Wim also published a blog post with his take on the announcement.
Get the latest updates on strategy, products, events, news, customers, partners and all things Oracle Linux! Connect with Oracle's Linux experts.
- Training Thursdays: Momentum Around Oracle Linux 7
- Training Thursdays: BTRFS in Oracle Linux 7
- FRIDAY SPOTLIGHT: Oracle is sponsoring Red Hat Summit on June 27-30
- Training Thursdays: Learn about DHCP in Oracle Linux
- Training Thursdays: What You Need to Learn About Oracle LInux 7
- Friday Spotlight: Hot off the Press- Oracle Linux Newsletter
- Thursday Trainings: Unleash Benefits of Oracle Linux
- Friday Spotlight: Video - Deploying and Upgrading OpenStack with Docker
- Training Thursdays: Learn to Boot in Rescue Mode with Oracle Linux
- FRIDAY SPOTLIGHT: Oracle Linux 6.8 is now available