By Antoinette O'Sullivan-Oracle on Jan 21, 2016
Docker is an open platform management tool for Linux Containers. It provides a means for developers and system administrators to build and package applications into lightweight containers. The container is independent from the host operating system and kernel version. As a result, you can run the same application, unchanged, on laptops, data center virtual machines, and any cloud. You can transfer this container to another machine that runs Docker and run the application without any compatibility issues. The following lists additional advantages of running applications within Docker containers:
- Docker images contain only the content needed to run an application so they are smaller than virtual machines, which require the entire operating system.
- A Docker container runs faster than an application that includes the overhead of an entire virtual machine.
- A Docker container includes its own network interfaces, file system, and memory, which allows the application running in the container to be isolated and secured from other processes on the host computer.
You can learn to use Docker with Oracle Linux, as well as learn about many other topics, by taking the Oracle Linux 7: Advanced Administration course. You can take this course as a:
- Live Virtual Event: Attend a live event from your own desk, no travel required. Choose from a selection of events on the schedule to suit different timezones. Events on the schedule include 25 and 31 January, 8 February, 13 March, 24 April, and 17 July 2016.
- In-Class Event: Travel to an education center to take a class. Below is a selection of the in-class events already on the schedule.
|Location||Date|| Delivery Language
| London, England
||18 April 2016||English|
| Paris, France
||22 February 2016||French|
| Munich, Germany
||15 February 2016||German|
| Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
||25 April 2016||English|
| Makati City, Philippines
||22 February 2016||English|
|Singapore||1 February 2016||English|
|Madrid, Spain||22 February 2016||Spanish|
|VA, Reston, United States||28 March 2016||English|
|CA, Belmont, United States||9 May 2016||English|