Oracle Enterprise Manager 12cR1 Agent Preinstall RPM for Oracle Linux 6 has been released
By Lenz Grimmer on Aug 20, 2013
The Oracle Enterprise Manager Agent Preinstall RPM installs the required software packages and prepares the operating system for Oracle Enterprise Manager Agent deployment. It has recently been made available for both x86_64 and i386 platforms from the ol6_addons repository on the public-yum server and the Unbreakable Linux Network.
The Oracle Management Agent (Management Agent) is one of the core components of Enterprise Manager Cloud Control that is deployed on each monitored host. It is responsible for managing and maintaining the hosts and its targets and communicating that information to the middle-tier Oracle Management Service. The Management Agent also allows you to monitor non-Oracle components (such as third-party databases) through management plug-ins and connectors.
Once the Oracle Enterprise Manager agent is deployed on an operating system, the operating system and applications running on that host can be monitored and manged using the Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c console.
The Oracle Enterprise Manager Agent Preinstall package installs the required software packages and sets system parameters necessary to deploy and run the Oracle Enterprise Manager Agent on Oracle Linux 6. In particular, it performs the following tasks to enable the agent deployment:
- Installs the required packages like sudo or openssh (via RPM package dependencies which will be resolved by the yum package manager)
- Creates and configures the oracle user and group accounts
- Modifies the user hard and soft file limits set in /etc/security/limits.d/
- Installs sudo configuration templates
This RPM may be installed on an existing physical or virtual Oracle Linux 6 system, or may be included in an Oracle VM Template or Oracle Virtual Assembly. Note that the actual agent installation requires 2 GB of free space and 512 MB swap space, and therefore the system image should be configured to meet these requirements.
A. Installing on physical or virtual Linux machine
- Subscribe the system to the Oracle Linux 6 Addons channel in ULN (ol6_addons on public-yum).
- Install the RPM via yum:
# yum install oracle-em-agent-12cR1-preinstall
- Check that there is at least 2 GB free disk space in the agent install location (e.g. by using "df -h") and at least 512 MB of swap space (e.g. by running "swapon -s")
B. Including the RPM in the system.img disk image inside of an Oracle Virtual Assembly
- Place System.img and vm.cfg in the same folder
- As the root user, run the following command:
# modifyjeos -f System.img -a <addrpm.lst> -m <rpm_directory_for_the_os>
(where addrpm.lst contains the list of additional RPMs to install)
- Check if the root partition has a minimum of 2 GB of free disk space. If not, use the following command to increase the free space:
# modifyjeos -f System.img -T <total new amount of disk space in MB>
- Check if there is a minimum of 512 MB of swap space. If not, use the following command to increase the swap space;
# modifyjeos -f System.img -S <total new amount of swap space in MB>
An Oracle Enterprise Manager installation can be configured such that the Enterprise Manager agent is pushed on the Guest VMs automatically when the Oracle Virtual Assembly is deployed.
To configure the Oracle Management Server (OMS) for automatic agent push, update the following properties in the <OMS_HOME>/sysman/prov/agentpush/agentpush.properties file:
oracle.sysman.prov.agentpush.defaultPdpSetting=/bin/su - %RUNAS% -c "%COMMAND%" oracle.sysman.prov.agentpush.enablePty=true