By Ronen Kofman on Sep 24, 2014
Today we announce the general availability of Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux 1.0. With this announcement we are now providing production OpenStack support to Oracle Linux and Oracle VM customers. The support for OpenStack is available as part of the Oracle Linux and Oracle VM Premier Support at no additional cost.
In December 2013 Oracle joined the OpenStack foundation, In May, during the OpenStack conference in Atlanta, we have released the technology preview version which was based on the Havana release. Since then we have refreshed the tech preview to support Icehouse and continued improving it by making install process simpler and fixing bugs. The GA release, which is available today, is based on the latest Icehouse release.
Our goal is to help make OpenStack an enterprise grade solution, capable of operating an entire datacenter including all types of workloads meeting all the requirements including reliability, security and performance. We would like OpenStack to become first class solution and the cloud operating system of choice for customers of any size. One of the ways Oracle can help make this a reality is to test and enable demanding enterprise workloads to run on OpenStack. Making sure that those workloads can run on OpenStack in a reliable and supported way is an important step in making OpenStack an enterprise grade, general purpose cloud management solution. With experience in deploying and managing enterprise workloads in virtual environment we are in a good position to drive such enabling activity forward, and that is what we plan to do.
Some resources and pointers to learn more about Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux:
- Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux (aka O3L) is available for download from the Oracle Linux public yum repository at http://public-yum.oracle.com
- The Oracle Technical Network (OTN) page for O3L is located here and includes documentation, links and also a virtualbox VM which has O3L fully installed, configured and ready to use on your own laptop
- More information can also be found at http://www.oracle.com/goto/openstack including data sheet, an interview with Wim Coekaerts and more
Next week is Oracle OpenWorld, at OpenWorld we will showcase Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux 1.0 and also have sessions and hands on lab to discuss OpenStack, you are welcome to join us. Here are links to our sessions about OpenStack:
- CON8358 – Building a Private Cloud with Oracle OpenStack for Oracle Linux and Oracle VM
- CON8473 – Oracle Distribution of OpenStack – Making OpenStack an Enterprise Grade Solution
- CON8356 – Oracle's Next Generation Software Defined Networking (SDN) Platform for Public and Private Clouds
We discuss the upcoming OpenWorld sessions here.