SQL Developer can certainly use LDAP naming and I'm pasting animation GIF of SQL Developer doing LDAP lookup.
Directory Usage Parameters (ldap.ora)
list the host names and port number of the primary and alternate LDAP directory servers
This is the sequence.
- In "Connections" pane, create a new connection.
- Connection Type == "LDAP"
- Type in 3 LDAP server hosts and non-secure ports and SSL ports. You can copy working "DIRECTORY_SERVERS" line in ldap.ora file.
- SQLDev accesses one of LDAP server so you can see list of DNs.
- Choose one and click "Load" button. Now "DB Service" drop-down has stuff.