By Peter Korn on Nov 04, 2008
I am so very proud to say that the next President of the United States, Barack Obama has one of the most thoughtful, detailed, and well articulated set of policies on people with disabilities I have ever seen. I encourage you to read them on his website. His key stated initiatives include:
- Becoming a signatory to -- and having the Senate ratify -- the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- To provide Americans with disabilities with the educational opportunities they need to succeed
- To end discrimination and promote equal opportunity
- To increase the employment rate of workers with disabilities
- To support independent, community-based living for Americans with disabilities
In addition to his full disability plan, he has also articulated specific policies for people with autism-spectrum disorders. And his campaign held an incredibly open and direct captioned conference call with the disability community wherein they discussed their policies.
Come January 20, 2009, Americans with Disabilities - and people with disabilities worldwide - will have an incredible advocate in the White House.