Track links for 2009-6-8: Pre-Classic
By kevinschmidt on Jun 08, 2009
There was some great action at the Prefontaine Classic in Eugene yesterday. A few notes/links for those interested:
- Asbel Kiprop toys with the field running 3:48 in the mile. Some decent times by the "second tier" American's too, but Alan Webb still does not look good and Leo Manzano follows up his stellar 3:34 from last weekend with a dud.
- Jenny Barringer becomes only the 3rd American under 4:00 in the womens 1500m. And it isn't even her primary event (the Steeplechase is)!
- Dwight Phillips long jumps 28-8 1/4 (8.74m), the longest since Powell set the WR in 1991 (29-4 1/2 or 8.95m).
- Letsrun.com full recap. Other highlights include Lagat in the 3000m, Richards in the womens 400m, Symmonds in the 800m, and in a huge surprise, Maggie Vessey in the womens 800m.
- LA Times - This is track as it should be. After being there for only 1 day of the US Nationals last year, I heartily agree.