Track and Olympics links for 2008-8-12
By kevinschmidt on Aug 12, 2008
- Track & Field News Predictions: Men's Top 10s - Bolt predicted to complete the double. Lagat to get the 1500 but 2nd in the 5000 to Bekele.
- Track & Field News Predictions: Women's Top 10s - U.S. Women in the 100, 200, and 400, Dibaba to get the 10000 but 2nd in 5000 to Defar. Jamaica picked in the 4x100!
- Gay removes flash from 100m dash - Kudos to Kobe for knowing to ask about Gay's leg.
- Powell propelled by personal tragedy as he prepares for greatest showdown on earth - Speaking of his WR in his first race after Worlds last year where he shut it down early, "I definitely would have gone under 9.7 but I slowed down because it was a heat."
- Edwin Moses: An Olympic message - We should all listen when one of our greatest speaks: "Without a doubt, there is absolutely no other event on the planet that has so much meaning and can have such an enormous effect on so many people."
- Where have all the spectators gone? - An interesting dynamic that having lower cost tickets could result in people being more willing to buy but then not show up. Some blame is put on corporations that don't use their tickets too.
- U.S. men gymnasts get unexpected bronze - Finishing on Pommel wasn't pretty, but it held up. Women's team final tonight (lineup).
- Doping control is bleeding Asafa Powell dry - I'm glad they are testing, but this seems a little extreme: "About two days ago, I got pretty upset, because since I've been here, they have tested me four times, and took blood, a lot of blood, ... I'm saying that they are taking so much blood that we are going to be very weak for the finals of the 100 meters."
- Mac doesn't want to play Olympic Games - Microsoft apparently doesn't care about Mac PPC users. They don't care about Linux users either, but that is no surprise.