OpenGrok 0.8 RC1
By kah on Nov 13, 2009
Lubos has just built and posted the first release candidate for OpenGrok 0.8. See his announcement here. Please test it and give feedback on opengrok-discuss, or file bugs or enhancement requests on http://defect.opensolaris.org/.
It's a long time since the previous release (more than a year!), so we're of course eager to get all the bug fixes and the fine new features we've been working on out very soon now.
Apart from a couple of bug fixes, my main task for this release has been to implement the Java DB history back-end (bug #3624). This is a new cache layer on top of the code that talks to all the version control systems, and it can be used instead of the old XML-based cache. The XML-based cache is still the default, but Lubos wrote a nice section on how to set up the new cache in README.txt. If you try the Java DB back-end, you may notice that the initial indexing and generation of the history cache is somewhat slower, but that's compensated by the ability to update the cache incrementally later. Here's the full list of new functionality provided by the new back-end:
- Incremental update of the history cache (bug #3052), so no need to retrieve and process the full history more than once
- History for directories is cached
- The history view shows which files were touched by the different check-ins
Other new features:
- Ability to search across multiple projects has been reintroduced
- Lucene back-end upgraded to 2.4.1
- New scripts to simplify indexing and deployment
- Auto-generated OpenSearch description enables web browsers to detect OpenGrok as a search engine
- Several UI improvements