Java SE Embedded IoT Hands On Lab Returns for Java One 2014
By Jim Connors-Oracle on Aug 26, 2014
After a one year hiatus, a Hands On Lab featuring Java SE for Embedded devices will return for The Java One 2014 Conference. Entitled HOL2097 Java SE Embedded IoT Hands On Lab, students who attend this lab will:
- Have their own individual embedded device to gain valuable hands on experience
- Learn how to create Java 8 Compact Profiles using the eJDK jrecreate tool. Students will use and deploy those Compact Profiles on their individual device.
- Learn about profile-aware tools available both at the JDK and IDE (NetBeans) level that aid developers in creating Java applications suitable for specific Compact Profiles.
- Learn about and utilize OSGi, an important Java-based
modular service platform ideal for dynamically managing the lifecycle of software
components, especially suited for gateway devices.
- Attach a sensor to the gateway device and deploy a Java/OSGi bundle on the device to capture data from the sensor.
- Build and deploy a Java/OSGi web service bundle on the gateway device that publishes data captured by the sensor. Students will be able to remotely access this web service to retrieve the sensor data in standard JSON format.
For those attending the Java One 2014 Conference, seating for this lab is limited. So reserve your spot early. We could also conceivably host a smaller workshop at a customer location effectively duplicating this lab. If you're interested, you can drop me a line at email@example.com.