Adding a Role to a Responsibility for Use with the Oracle E-Business Suite SDK for Java JAAS Implementation
By Juan Camilo Ruiz on Jun 29, 2012
This new post on the series of ADF integration with Oracle E-Business Suite, was written by Sara Woodhull, Principal Product Manager on the Oracle E-Business Suite Applications Technology team.
Based on a previous post of the series, a reader asked what to do if you have an existing responsibility assigned to lots of users, instead of the UMX role that the Oracle E-Business Suite SDK for Java JAAS Implementation requires. It would be tedious to assign a new role directly to hundreds or thousands of users, so naturally we’d like to avoid that if possible.
Most people don’t know this, but it’s possible to assign a UMX role to a responsibility in Oracle User Management. Once you do that, users with your responsibility will all inherit your UMX role automatically. You can then proceed with using your UMX role with JAAS for ADF.
Here is how to assign a UMX role to a responsibility in Oracle E-Business Suite:
- In the User Management responsibility, go to the Roles & Role Inheritance page.
- Search for the responsibility you want.
- In the search results table, click the “View In Hierarchy” icon for your responsibility. Note that the codes for responsibilities start with FND_RESP, while the codes for roles start with UMX.
- In the Role Inheritance Hierarchy, click on the Add Node icon (green plus + ) for your responsibility.
- Now you will see what appears to be the same page again but it is a little different (note the text at the top telling you the role you select will be inherited…). This time, either search or expand nodes until you find your custom UMX role. Use the Quick Select to choose that role.
- You will be sent back to the first screen, where you should see a confirmation message at the top. On the same page you can verify that the custom UMX role is underneath the responsibility. You may need to expand one or more nodes to see the UMX role under the responsibility. You might see some other roles that have been inherited as well.
- Now that your users have the UMX role, you can test that the UMX role is being passed through to your ADF application through the Oracle E-Business Suite SDK for Java JAAS feature.