By 89024 on Apr 19, 2007
It's never as good as you want it to be, but it's never quite as bad as you think either ! Not sure who said that but I have found it to be really true.
This applies really well to the Comms product suite. Part of my job at Sun is working with Comms team to re-invest in the product
and make sure that it is a strong Microsoft Exchange alternative.
I have seen many blog entries and emails from customers and employees (including our CEO) which express frustration with bug fixing, feature addition, etc.
I hear you and we are going to do something about it !
Priorities going forward
- Bring "Wow" back into the Web Client. Actively under construction is aWeb 2.0 client for mail, calendar, IM and contacts that will raise more than a few eyebrows.
- Complete rebuild of the install environment (so SIMPLE my mom could install it).
- Deliver a calendar server based on the latest CalDAV standard.
- Open Source Comms components
- Increase search and management capability of the message store
- Enable large message store capability
- Bring carrier grade, push e-mail to the market. Based on IETF/Lemonade standards.
- Granular and light-weight web services to all Comms backend data.
- Deliver SyncML support
- Improve and expand Outlook Connector
- Offer support for better /cheaper storage & mail-store integration.
- A connection back to Sun for to better support users
- Add a blogging engine to the Comms Suite
Just a partial list of what we are planning, and over the coming months we will be sharing more and more info with you as we get things released. So how are we going to deliver on this? By making significant new investment in sustaining and QA. This will allow us to have developers spend most of their time doing what they are best at - innovating and developing cool new products. Of course this won't all happen at once, but we have a strong server technology base to build on that makes this possible.
To learn more about Sun's Java Communications Suite and how it can help
your business, you can take a look at
Send your comments and feedback, we believe in our products and we know that Comms on Solaris can be a competitive advantage for you in your business.
A screen shot of our next generation web client