By Petr Dvorak on Jun 22, 2009
The university/student projects have their own specifics. One of the most visible one is that the innovation and enthusiasm is often combined with rather weak software engineering and poor execution. I know it from my own experience. When I and my team of three students started our software project at the MatFyz (Charles University in Prague), we had to deal with a lot of issues on our own.
For example, we were looking for the right development tools and for the infrastructure for our project... As we didn't have much practical experience with this, we ended up with our own instance of wiki (MediaWiKi on a freehosting), we used our own issue tracker (really - I am serious, we wrote our own PHP application just for the purpose - yeah, we were... young...), we placed our code in the Mercurial repository located on our faculty server and we used Google Groups as an alternative to the mailing lists.