How to set up Pidgin for a Kenai project chatroom
By Petr Dvorak on May 21, 2009
This short "How To" should help you to set up the Pidgin client for the chatroom of your Kenai project. The process consists of three steps.
1. Bookmark a project on the Kenai.com web page
- Join the Kenai.com project and log in
- Search for the desired project
- Click "Bookmark This Project" link by the project - this will give you an Observer role for the project
2. Set your client to use the Kenai.com XMPP account
- Start Pidgin
- Right-click the icon in the system tray and invoke "Accounts"
- Click "Add" button
- Choose "XMPP" as the protocol
- Fill in your username and password - the same credentials as on Kenai.com
- You must use the form that can be seen in the upper-right corner of the Kenai.com page after you log in - the e-mail address will not work
3. Join a chatroom of your project
- Open a Pidgin window and invoke "Buddies>Join a chat"
- Make sure that the right account is selected
- Fill in the project name in the "Room" field and click the "Join" button