About Joerg Barfurth
I am a Software Engineer at Oracle. I joined Oracle with the Sun Microsystems acquisition.
Since I joined Sun I have been working on various technologies related to the desktop experience.
- StarOffice (now Oracle Open Office) / OpenOffice.org – My first project at Sun. I worked on the database application Base, the configuration database for the office suite and the StarOffice Configuration Manager product.
- Desktop (JDS) – Based on our work at StarOffice, our team created the Sun Desktop Manager product. The remains of this are now a (largely unmaintained) open source project at freedesktop.org.
- Sun Ray Software – This has been at the center of my work for several years and still plays an important part. Some of the features I worked on:
- The new Kiosk Mode framework in SRSS 4.0.
- The 'Remote Hotdesk Authentication' security feature in SRSS 4.1
- The Client Authentication security feature in SRSS 4.2
- Server side support for the OVDC in SRSS 4.2
- Oracle VDI – As part of VDI engineering I work on software for provisioning, upgrading and monitoring VDI deployments.
Other notable interests in the IT industry:
- I am one of the moderators of the de.comp.lang.iso-c++ USENET group, which has discussions of the C++ programming language (in German).
Other things I enjoy include: