By Jonathan Gershater on May 08, 2006
So, I patiently walked him through finding Microsoft Office on the computer only to find it was not installed. He then asked, "where can I get Excel cheaper than $229 ?"The answer was simple, I walked him through downloading and installing OpenOffice.
\* Download time: 12 minutes over a LAN
\* Install time: 10 minutes - about five mouseclicks and perhaps twelve words to type
Total time to become productive: Less than 25 minutes
Would someone care to calculate the time and cost to use Microsoft Office?
- drive to the store at +$3 a gallon,
- park (neither activity a pleasant experience in Los Angeles)
- find the CD on the shelf
- stand in line
- drive back to the office
- open the shrinkwrap (toss into the nearest landfill)
- validate the product is not counterfeit
- insert the CD
- install the product
- put the CD and license in a safe place in case you ever need it again