By jmcp on Feb 27, 2009
Over the years it's been a source of frustration for me that the conferences which I wanted to attend were either too expensive (time, travel, registration etc) or not covering topics I was interested in.
Late last year I realised I should stop grumbling about it and fix it myself.
So it is with great pleasure that I can announce that this July 15th to 17th in Brisbane, there will be an Open Source kernel-focused conference: Kernel Conference Australia. We don't have absolutely all of the organisational bits together yet, but here's what we do have:
World class speakers
- Jeff Bonwick (Sun, ZFS)
- Bill Moore (Sun, ZFS)
- Sherry Moore (Sun, x64 guru)
- Gavin Maltby (Sun, FMA guru)
- Dave Stewart (Intel, OpenSolaris group)
The University is situated in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Yes, it will be winter... but winter in Brisbane is a beautiful time to visit.
Call for Papers
The Call for Papers is not quite ready (still a few details to be ironed out), but if you'd like to be considered for a presentation spot you should be thinking about a topic in any of these areas:
- Cross-architecture kernel development
- Porting an OS to a new architecture
- System performance visualisation (DTrace, SystemTap?)
- Image visualisation (GPU kernels)
- Fault Management
- (globally) Distributed kernel development - how to make it work
- Clustering (HPC and High Availability)
- Distributed systems
- Kernel Testing - methodologies, interesting problems found
- Traps and pitfalls found when porting drivers between OSes
- Realtime performance and scheduling
- Embedded OSes and drivers (including control systems)
- Patents and Open Source
- The state of OS kernel research / what's new / work in progress
Apart from the above, we expect that pretty much any kernel-focused topic for an Open Source licensed OS will be considered by the organising committee.
- OpenSolaris (of course!)
- The BSD family FreeBSD / OpenBSD / NetBSD
- research OSes (L4 variants, GNU HURD etc etc)
If you would like to help with sponsoring the conference, please let me know via email (jmcp at my employer . com).