nge, ultra20, nevada .... no packets!
By jmcp-Oracle on Jul 05, 2006
One problem that I've been having with my bleeding-edge committment has been with the nge driver. I noticed that after my bfu gave me nge version 1.4, I couldn't get any packet responses when I pinged.
With v1.3 I could, so I logged a bug against the nge driver.
That was all well and good, except that I have absolutely \*no\* idea what to look for when debugging network issues. If <tt>snoop</tt> can't give me a clue, I'm stuffed.
Yesterday I bfu'd to the 2nd July nightly bits (which contained nge v1.6), rebooted, saw the same lack of packet response and did my nge shuffle. Update the boot archive, reboot, kaboom!
Turns out the there were some putbacks for GLD v3 which nge v1.3 isn't compatible with.
Slight problem for me then, because I couldn't get my network..... it was more of a notwork. Not good.
With the aid of Murayama's nfo driver (yay for usb storage!) I was able to determine that the problem wasn't actually with the nic driver, but either above that in the stack, or below it, in the hardware.
I have Brendan Gregg's DTrace Toolkit installed, so I ran <tt>dtruss</tt> on a ping to my gateway. That showed me that everything seemed to be working ok from the above-the-nic part of the issue. So that left the hardware itself.
Since I knew that nge v1.3 worked just fine, I was left to poke around in the hardware........ and the only thing I could find was in the bios for this box.
It turns out that there's a setting in one of the Advanced Settings pages, called <b>MAC Media Interface</b>. Somewhere in my futzing around (I can't help myself, you know how it is), I'd set that particular item to "MII".
That's the wrong thing.
I actually needed that set to "RGMII", which stands for "Reduced Gigabit Media Independent Interface".
Once I'd done that, all my network stuff came good.
That's one setting I won't be playing with again!
Technorati Tags: Solaris, OpenSolaris, ethernet