WebSphere AS on Sun Fire T2000 and DB2 on Sun Fire X4200 Benchmark
By Jignesh Shah on Aug 20, 2006
Here is another benchmark from Sun which is quite interesting. Few highlights that I can think :
- First Official WebSphere Application Server Benchmark on Solaris that I am aware
- First WebSphere AS Benchmark running on a 32-threads/8-core UltraSPARC T1 based Sun Fire T2000
- First WebSphere AS benchmark which has DB2 running On Solaris 10 x64 on the backend
- First WAS/DB2 both on Solaris running in mixed (SPARC and AMD64) environment
- First single socket machine to even reach that number for an appserver
With the availability of WebSphere Application Server and DB2 on Sun Fire T2000 and the new availability of WebSphere Application Server and DB2 on Solaris 10 x64 (Sun Fire X4200), suddenly the horizons have changed in terms of performance and pricing. (Don't forget WebSphere/DB2 are priced at a little less than 3 processor pricing on Sun Fire T2000 and on x64 classs machine they are based on per socket which means they are priced at 2 processor pricing on Sun Fire X4200.) Suddenly the perception that WebSphere/DB2 on Solaris is expensive has now changed drastically.
Welcome to the new and better world of Solaris.
One Sun Fire X4200 (4 cores, 2 chips) and one Sun Fire T2000 (8 cores, 1 chip) 616.22 SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard. SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard. SPEC, SPECjAppServer reg tm of Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. Results from www.spec.org as of 9/13/06.