OpenSolaris Moves to XWiki
By Jimgris-Oracle on Oct 27, 2009
We finally moved to XWiki last night. I sent the
out around 4:15 my time this morning. It was a long day. I have been
sick for a couple of
weeks, so that marathon last night didn't help things much. But we went
out and we didn't blow up. Cool. This is
Phase 2 of the website transition. Phase 1 was the development and
deployment of the Auth user management system and the merging of the
tonic and poll databases all around a governance structure. Among other
things. And now this Phase 2
represents the customization of XWiki and its integration with Auth and
the migration and translation of the old tonic website content into
XWiki. Among other things. The
sequence is actually pretty substantial.
The team working on this thing yesterday was spread out all over the
world -- Boston, Colorado Springs, San Francisco, Manchester, and
Tokyo. Some of us were up at 4 in the morning, while others stayed up
till 5 in the morning the next day. The final migration took somewhat
longer than expected because we had to fix critical issues (networking,
performance, redirects, etc) as we went
live while under real loads for the first time. We had
done 31 migrations in 3 months to give ourselves and everyone in the
community enough time to prepare, but going live always draws new
to deal with. It turned out ok, though. And the performance has been
very good so far (and this will improve as we further optimize the
application). Anyway, not bad for a v1 attempt. And that's exactly what
this is. A start.
But it feels good to be living in one world now, instead of having to go back and forth between vastly different website architectures resolving differences between the two -- all while maintaining current operations on an old site that was quite literally at the breaking point. That last part was a very big deal in this gig, and far too many people still don't realize that that was hanging over our heads the entire time. Also, the process of migrating and translating content was dicey, and working those issues ate a pile of time out of the schedule. Now, of course, we still have many bugs to fix and features to add. There is graphics work and style sheet clean up to do. Embedded media to implement. Printing issues to solve. Editor bugs to fix. Content to clean. We are far from complete. And we have to get XWiki on a regular upgrade schedule, so we don't let things lag. Fortunately, there is an active XWiki community out there, and we are now part of that effort. It will be good to finally focus on morning forward on new infrastructure, whereas we couldn't go anywhere on the old platform. That's why this was a move, not an upgrade.
Special thanks to the engineering team for pulling this off and to Chris Phelan for leading the entire XWiki phase. Excellent job. We now have a new community development tool to build upon. And the list of community-development tools is growing. Thank you.
Phase 3 of the website transition project very soon.