By Kem Butller-Oracle on Apr 16, 2013
Six Major JD Edwards Announcements Made at Collaborate 2013
Collaborate 2013, the annual Quest International independent user group conference, was held in Denver from April 8 – 11, 2013 in Denver, Colorado. As is the tradition, the JD Edwards team used this venue to make major product announcements to the hundreds of JD Edwards customers and partners that were in attendance.
The announcements include new product announcements, a new tools releases, an exciting new focus initiative and a new website, all designed to provide value to customers, while increasing customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Learn More About each of the Product Announcements:
- Tools 9.1 Update 3 is now generally available
- Oracle VM V5 for JD Edwards EnteprriseOne 9.1
- World A9.3 Update 1 is now generally available
- Pre-Announcement of In Memory Applications for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
- Extended Support uplift Fees Waived for the 9s Releases
- www.runjde.com Launched
ANNOUNCEMENT 1: EnterpriseOne Tools Release 9.1 Update 3 is now generally available
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools 9.1 update 3 (Tools 9.1.3) is the next update release to the groundbreaking Tools 9.1 release which delivered a next generation user experience for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 9.0 and 9.1 Application releases.
Supporting every JD Edwards EnterpriseOne installation is a JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools release which delivers a platform with an innovative user experience, scalability, high performance, security and reliability for the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne application modules. Tools update releases are typically delivered every six to twelve months and contain new feature enhancements, new platform certifications and product maintenance. This update release includes enhancements to the End User experience and Mobile Solutions, Reporting, and System Administration and Development Tools.
Tools 9.1 Update 3 continues to enhance the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne End User Experience
· A new iPad application that can be installed directly onto the iPad device, will optimize the EnterpriseOne User Interface for the iPad, and provide interfaces to native device capabilities such as the camera and images.
· A new One View feature, Watchlist, can be used as a "Manage by Exception" solution allowing users to define and monitor key data points over base EnterpriseOne applications and then easily identify and take action when data has exceeded acceptable thresholds.
· A Composite Application Framework which enables an end user to define a multiple frame layout consisting of an EnterpriseOne application, Oracle Business Intelligence reports and external web applications into a single view.
* An intuitive drop down list feature for User Defined Code entry fields that can be used as alternative to the Visual Assist (flashlight search / select dialog).
· Transaction Change Confirmation Warnings which prompt a user when an action could result in data loss or unnecessary database updates.
Tools 9.1 Update 3 continues to enhance the native JD Edwards EnterpriseOne reporting capabilities
- One View Reports can now be displayed in an EnterpriseOne page, such as the first home page the user is presented with upon login.
- One View Reports can now be launched in a single step from JD Edwards Menus, Favorites, EnterpriseOne Pages, or even from an external web application.
- The Embedded BI Publisher reports can now be configured to dynamically select the printer for output as well as output to a combination of different printers and email addresses in a single report.
- Additional Postscript printer types, including those which do not support a PDF to Postscript conversion on the printer itself, are supported.
Tools 9.1 Update 3 adds System Administration and Application Development capabilities
· An updated version of the Oracle VM templates for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne includes updated software and new template support for One View Reporting and JD Edwards Mobile applications.
· A simplified process within the Server Manager tool is available for provisioning new JD Edwards EnterpriseOne instances and for cloning existing JD Edwards instances
· Application Development Productivity Improvements including a collapsible group box option within the Forms Design Aid tool and more powerful search capabilities within the toolset.
· Additional security controls are available for users of the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Smartphone mobile applications.
- JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools 9.1 Update 3 is the second update to Tools 9.1.
- Available as part of standard maintenance, JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools 9.1 Update 3 is available for Application releases 9.0 (including Updates 1 & 2) and 9.1.
- JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools 9.1 Update 3 is not compatible with Application releases prior to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications 9.0.
Resources and other information
- Upgrade Value Proposition and Release Notes for Tools 9.1 Update 3
- (All) Releases Documentation Overview
- JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Documentation Library
- Oracle Learning Library – JD Edwards Content
- JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools Library Net Change Guide
- Video Demos of the Tools 9.1 Update 3 User Interface
- Tools 9.1 Update 3 Release Overview Functional Transfer of Information
- Minimum Technical Requirements for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne are now available from the “Certifications” tab on My Oracle Support
- JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Whitepaper library
- Customer version of this announcement is on My Oracle Support
- Sales collateral on the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools and Technologies page (Selljde.com)
Oracle Announces the general availability of Oracle VM templates for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Application release 9.1 and Tools release 9.1.3. These templates can be used with Oracle VM for x86 version 3.1 or later and on the Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud.
Customers can realize significant time and cost savings when they use Oracle VM Templates to install JD Edwards EnterpriseOne. Not only do the templates speed the implementation process, they dramatically reduce the complexity by reducing the number o f disk and reference materials, and experience/skills required to successfully complete the task. These VM templates are one component to the “Innovating for Simplification” initiative that was also launched at Collaborate. Read more about this here:
• My Oracle Support article 884592.1
Oracle VM Templates for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne accelerate the process of setting up a working environment compared to the traditional installation process. The templates contain preconfigured images of the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne enterprise, HTML, and database servers, complete with Linux operating system, Oracle WebLogic Server, and Oracle Database.
The templates can be installed into an Oracle VM for x86 system running on standard x86 servers, the Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud, and the Oracle Database Appliance X3-2. The templates can be a key component to a well-managed cloud infrastructure, allowing system administrators to quickly provision fully functional JD Edwards EnterpriseOne environments for evaluation, development, or production use.
The latest set of templates includes the following applications and technology components:
· JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications Release 9.1 including ESUs as of February 15, 2013
· JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools 9.1 Update 3
· Oracle Database 11g R2 (126.96.36.199)
· Oracle WebLogic Server 11g R1 (10.3.5)
· Oracle Linux 5 Update 8, 64-bit
In addition to the templates for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne enterprise server, HTML server, and database server this release includes two new templates:
· Oracle Business Intelligence Publisher, for use with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne One View Reporting
· JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Business Services Server and Oracle Application Development Framework (ADF), for use with the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Mobile Applications
The delivery also includes a JD Edwards EnterpriseOne deployment server preconfigured to match the content of the templates.
Resources and other information
ANNOUNCEMENT 3 - Oracle Announces Oracle’s JD Edwards World Release A9.3 Update 1
JD Edwards World A9.3 Update 1, the first set of significant enhancements for JD Edwards World A9.3, includes enhancements to Financial, Distribution, Manufacturing, Human Capital Management, Reporting, and Technical Foundation applications.
Organizations from around the world rely on JD Edwards World applications for their daily business operations. JD Edwards World has long enjoyed a well-earned reputation for robust capability, renowned stability, and a proven low Total Cost of Ownership. Flexibility, strength, simplicity, and consistency continue to be key words for A9.3 Update 1. JD Edwards World builds upon current version A9.3, making user requests a reality with significant enhancements to application capabilities and technology foundation. Robust and actionable information is delivered through application and reporting enhancements, reduced costs through streamlined processes, improved control through robust security and increased visibility of processes, and continued commitment to globalization through availability of double-byte language support.
A9.3 Update 1 delivers robust and actionable information through business process enhancements
· Asset Warranty and Incident Management manages all the information about warranties and incidents associated with an asset, including renewals. There is now one place to go to manage all warranties and their associated incidents for Fixed Assets.
· Electronic Document Delivery (EDD) now supports archiving of documents flowing through the gateway to Oracle BI Publisher. The desired storage directory is defined for each EDD profile, if archival of formatted documents is desired. This includes bursting logic, so archiving supports different placement based on a combination of the values being used for bursting.
· An additional document type is supported by Import/Export to support export of a formatted Excel spreadsheet. Using XML as the basis, it is now possible to export a document from World and open it in a spreadsheet application without having to reset the formatting of the spreadsheet.
· Dependents and Beneficiaries by Employee is enhanced to filter out past enrollment and to only display the current effective enrollments. A new field has been added to Dependents and Beneficiaries by Employee to display only the current enrollment records. When set to yes, the application displays the most current record for each Plan Id, based on the Effective From Date.
· The Automatic Overtime Generator has been enhanced to allow more flexible processing when creating overtime from timecards that include equipment. When some hours of a timecard are split off to overtime, and those timecards include equipment, a processing option setting determines whether the equipment information should be included on the overtime split timecards. If the entire timecard becomes overtime, the equipment values will always be retained.
A9.3 reduces costs and improves compliance support through streamlined processes
· The Depreciation Expense Allocation application automatically books the depreciation expense from a single asset to multiple business units based on a specified formula.
· The budget spread application allows setting of budget spread pattern codes by company and business unit.
· An enhancement to Pre-Payroll allows optionally generating timecards for all or a subset of employees being processed in the payroll.
· Utilizing integration with Vertex’s Q Series for Canadian Payroll Tax, A9.3 Update 1 provides market-leading tax compliance for managing Canada payroll taxation.
A9.3 dramatically improves process control and visibility
· Field level security uses a database level IBM i7.1 operating system database-level convention called Field Procedure (Fieldproc). Implementation of this feature allows masking of values contained in the display file.
· Purchase Card Management now integrates with Approvals Management.
· Extensibility for JD Edwards World! When analyzing the impact of a World version upgrade, if one of the biggest obstacles is reapplying modifications to World applications, this enhancement can have significant impact on the cost and effort of that important task.
· Interoperability for Plant & Equipment and Quality Management is enhanced by the addition of Z-File processing, making movement of data to external applications or spreadsheets much easier.
· Inventory Lot Management and Planning is enhanced through the addition of a Future Lot Effective Date to determine future availability of a Lot for sales order and planning commitments.
· Reverse Ship Confirm is enhanced to include reversal of freight, adjustment, and other miscellaneous line items as well as support for reversal of direct ship line items.
A9.3 supports popular localizations for global presence
Double-byte language support is delivered simultaneously with single-byte support in A9.3 Update 1
Resources and other information
· (All) Releases Documentation Overview
Announcement 4 - In Memory JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications
Oracle pre-announced new In Memory applications that will be available in May. The pre-announcement included two new JD Edwards In Memory Applications, In Memory Sales Advisor and In Memory Project Portfolio Management. In Memory applications provide the ability to complete complex logic/calculations on large data sets in real time that previously has been unavailable. Please find additional information and resources on these new application on oracle.com here.
To ensure Oracle’s JD Edwards applications customers continue to receive world class, high value maintenance and support from Oracle and have ample opportunity to maximize return on their JD Edwards assets, Oracle recently announced the following changes to Oracle’s Lifetime Support:
- Waiver of Extended Support Fee uplifts on JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Releases 9.0 and 9.1
- Waiver of Extended Support Fee uplifts on JD Edwards World Releases A9.1, A9.2 and A9.3.
These fee waivers cover the entire three years or remaining Extended Support period for the above releases. By upgrading to the “9’s” JD Edwards customers receive the extended support commitment at a predictable cost.
The description of Oracle’s Support Policy and definition of Extended Support for JD Edwards applications are documented in the “Oracle Lifetime Support Policy” for Oracle Applications found here: http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/lifetime-support-applications-069216.pdf
This announcement supports Oracle’s commitment to help customers take advantage of the latest innovation packed releases on a schedule that works with their business goals.
In response to customer feedback, JD Edwards is launching an initiative focused on simplifying – where every possible! The initiative will not be limited to just simplifying how the software functions (User Experience for example), but will address complexities that may exist in any part of the ERP lifecycle, including how we deliver training, information, news, documentation, how utilities work, the install and upgrade processes, etc.
JD Edwards announced at Collaborate 2013 the new www.runjde.com web page (sister page to upgradejde.com) and this new site is aimed at all users/customers, not just those that are upgrading. Phase One of runjde.com provide new Resource Kits that are comprehensive guides to the vast body of resources and tools available to the JD Edwards community. The resources are organized by user role so that distinct types of users can easily get a comprehensive index of resources available, a brief descriptions with key tips, and links to those resources.
Please explore the runjde.com site and the resource kit, and PLEASE share them with your JD Edwards user and support communities.