Running a defragmented Solaris



It didn't take too long to get my Solaris image back up and running after the defragmentation of my Solaris partition. Turns out my backup was only 2 months out of date, and the breadth of things that had changed was minimal. Most of what I do is stored "out there" on the 'Net, which transfers much of the onus of backups on others :)

Unfortunately I've been too busy to keep up with what's been going on over at OpenSolaris, but it looks like they have been busy. I have already installed 5 zones using the new zoneadm "clone" capability. Love it. The look & feel of Gnome has been updated, although it's unclear if Gnome itself has been updated. ZFS has been updated. Not sure exactly what has changed, but it warned me about wanting to upgrade the pool. Eric covers zfs modifications requiring a "zpool upgrade". The comments say build 42 will incorporate those changes and I'm running build 41. Hmmm. Either way, I ran "zpool upgrade" and all is fine.

Installing build 41 from scratch, as opposed to my usual Live Upgrade, wasn't all that bad an idea. It forced me to refresh certain applications and services that didn't get backed up, such as the iwi wireless driver. My laptop would occassionally hang, and I think iwi was to blame. Reading the notes, I saw a fix that many have addressed the issue. I also updated inetmenu.

There is a downside, though. My USB thumb drive stopped working due to a supposed bug in the scsa2usb driver. Thanks to Kesari, I have a to-be-installed update.

Comments:

Post a Comment:
Comments are closed for this entry.
About

John Clingan

Search

Archives
« April 2014
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
   
       
Today