Preparing for JavaOne
By John Clingan-Oracle on May 14, 2006
Everyone prepares for JavaOne in their own way. Here's an out-take from my preparation steps:
- Mental preparation. One must prepare oneself for a week of solid Java. People-Networking-Java. Techno-Java. Caffeine-Java. Booth-Java. Vendor-Java. Geek-Java. About 16 hours a day. By the end of the week, the mental sponge is beyond saturation.
- Over the week, I will probably walk 20 miles. This includes, of course, joining in on the march of the penguins from the hotel(s) to the Moscone Center each morning. While physical conditioning is not of the upmost importance for JavaOne, it does help me with the I-don't-like-this-session-so-I'll-go-to-my-backup-session scenario. Why does the “backup session” always end up at the other end of the Moscone Center?
- I have my plan mapped out of how to get from SFO to the Pickwick Hotel, and that's about it. Whups, there's the bloggers meeting on Tuesday, but the hands-on lab runs right into that. Well, then there is the rumor of beer at the JavaPosse BOF ...
I have no idea what sessions I will go to yet. Since I am a lowly Sun employee, I have to go to the back of the line for every session. You folks get in line first. Lucky Bastards. Hey, when it comes to standing in line at the restroom, I'm holding my ground.
- This will be a working JavaOne. I have to work the hands-on labs Tuesday and Wednesday, about 6 hours in all. I also have quite a bit of customer work to do, so I'll be calling it a night early some days to get some of that work done at the expense of some BOFs. Someone to rename “Birds of a Feather”. Telling my wife I was up late BOFing the night before is a recipe for divorce.
- To keep up the pace, I'll be drawn even closer to Starbucks. I've mapped out all of the Starbucks between my hotel, the Moscone center, and the hotels with parties and BOFs. I'll do my best to keep it down to two a day, which will be hard since there are 4 on every corner in San Francisco.
- I've notified my wife that my daily calls home will become increasingly incomprehensible, due to lack of sleep (thanks to BOFing) propped up with caffeine