400K+ Solaris Downloads Contributing Factors
By John Clingan-Oracle on Feb 13, 2005
Jonathan says - Wow! I say Holy Cow! (Cow's not the first word that came to mind). Either way, those are pretty darn good statistics.
I am finding a tremendous amount of "awareness" out there of Solaris 10. Contributing factors for this awareness include:
- Value. Thanks engineers & product management for a great product. If it weren't for you, Solaris 10 would be a marketing slide. And, of course, The Clingan Zone would almost be a blank page :)
- Thanks Marketing, for keeping the buzz at a level higher than a bottle of vodka!
- The OpenSolaris community - thanks contributors & participants - I'm dedicating a zone to each of you
- The "but it's not Linux" controversy - thanks naysayers and trade rags - for generating awareness.
- Thanks analysts, for ummm, uuuh ... wait a sec ... hold on ... beating us senseless?? :) Oh yeah, for the positive outlook at the bar. I think the vodka buzz had some influence :) More seriously, I know we don't always agree. We deserve to get beat up at times. That's OK. I'll buy you a beer (no hard feelings) if we get a chance to meet some day. Except for the guy who wants us to kill SPARC ... that's not OK. You buy your own drink.
- Bloggers! I wonder where the Solaris download count would be if it were not for bloggers - both inside and outside of the Sun.com domain. Solaris community bloggers, industry bloggers, end user bloggers, marketing bloggers, executive bloggers, naysayer bloggers, pundit bloggers, etc. Now let's start blogging about what this engine of innovation is doing in production ...