Open Source @ Indian Flavor
By Jay Mahadeokar on Sep 05, 2008
We had organized Polaris – A 2-Day Technical Event at SRKNEC which was held on 31st Aug – 1st Sept 2008. The event witnessed students from many colleges in the Nagpur University namely – GH Raisoni, VNIT, KIDS Ramtek, UCE etc as well as colleges from outside the region testing out their technical skills as well as demonstrating their talent.
Almost 700-800 students were at our campus during the 2 - day event!
During the 2 days, we had organized an Open Source Hut!
Open Source Hut Front View!
The Open Source Hut was a small block (hut), in a prime location at our campus, a lawn near canteen! It was be nicely decorated with Open Source posters and banners and was be the center of attraction of our event. Inside the hut we had all the leading Open Source Technologies and demonstrations live! There were traditional chatais for people to sit and relax! Technology was on display with laptops and sunspots leading the way! The rains also played their part during the day and so we had to deal with some hindrances..
The Inauguration of Hut:
Our Principal, Dr V.Deshpande inaugurated the Hut in presence of Prof M.B.Chandak and other dignitaries. After breaking the auspicious coconut as a tradition in India, he started off by cutting the ribbon and Hut was up and running!
We had students visiting the hut whole day, and for the first time in my life, I think I was talking 10 hrs continuously! Same with Mr. Vasusen Patil, our Sun Club President! We talked about:
1. NetBeans IDE - We displayed all basic applications that
can be easily created using NetBeans. All the noteworthy features of
NetBeans were highlighted.
2. OpenSolaris – The lack of awareness in this field in our region is alarming and so a completely OpenSolaris dedicated system was displayed so that the viewers can try out the OS hands on and find it out for themselves. All the features of OpenSolaris like ZFS, Zones, Clusters ,DTrace were highlighted!
3. Sun SPOTs – The Sun Spots tend to drive audience attention instantly and the basic Demo applications were on display.
4. Live Mobile Applications made using J2ME and NetBeans were be on display.
5. Opensparc , MySQL, and other technologies were also promoted.
6. Visiting students were given opportunity to become part of the SRKNEC Sun Club. They were also be encouraged to register at sun.com as students.
7. Visiting Students were introduced with the Sun Certification Exams and Sun Academic Initiative.
8. At the end we distributed Open Source Goodies and CD's (250+ CDs which we had written ourselves!) The goodies were provided by Sun!
Here are some of the pics from the open source hut:
Hut under Construction!
CDs that were distributed, Some Sun goodies were also available!
Discussions, filling forms etc!!
Interior of Hut with Chatais and all!
After the two days, we had more than 300 + students interested in the SRKNEC Sun Club and filled out forms. I currently cant add so many people because of googles policy to prevent spam!! But I have managed to add about 170 + members till now...
I think thats good for the starters, after all, our SRKNEC Sun Club is just a 1 month old baby!!!
At the end of the day, it was a great experience! We really presented Open source @ Indian Flavor!
We are making a video of the hut, and I will be uploading that soon! Stay tuned!