Java Spotlight Podcast 6: Michael Kölling and Ian Utting, BlueJ and Greenfoot creators
By Roger Brinkley on Dec 01, 2010
Joining us this week on the Java All Star Developer Panel are Dalibor Topic, Java free and open source software ambassador, and Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine, Java EE Evangelist.
Control-click to download this MP3 file. You can also subscribe to the Java Spotlight Podcast Feed to get the latest podcast automatically. If you use iTunes you can open iTunes and subscribe with this link: Java Mobility Podcast in iTunes.
Java SE Performance leaves Android in the dust
- Nokia shuts down Symbian websites - no longer open source
- Tomas Nilsson on HotSpot build improvements: http://tnilsson.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-have-you-done-for-me-lately.html
- Brian Goetz announced the filing of JSR-335: Lambda expressions in the Java Language on the Project Lambda mailing list: http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/lambda-dev/2010-November/002673.html
- JAX-RS 2.0 draft : http://markmail.org/thread/wgm3hj3rrva3j6jo. Client API, MVC support, Asynch support, hypermedia, better integration with @Inject, ...
- JPA 2.1 : More standardization, more flexibility - dynamic definition of PU, more control on persistence context synchronization, mapping between JPQL and criteria queries
- More: JSF 2.2 (HTML5), JMS (long time no update), ...
GlassFish OSGi dynamic services
GlassFish Clustering screencasts
TheAquarium is 5 years old
- Almost there: SVN and Issue Tracker are good. Web site isn't fully there.
- OTN Developer Day Java & GlassFish in Germany: http://robilad.livejournal.com/73103.html
- JavaOne going I18N: Brazil and China.
- We are very happy to hear that Greenfoot was awarded the 2010 Premier Award for Excellence in Engineering Education Courseware, a prize given to systems that show “high-quality, engaging, non-commercial learning innovations designed to enhance engineering education.”
- Greenfoot is a pedagogical tool for teaching computer programming that allows students to use the full Java programming language to create games and simulations.
- Alexis - Coin on the Mac: http://blogs.sun.com/alexismp/entry/coin_on_the_mac
- Open Virtual Machine research and development Position at Sun Labs: http://robilad.livejournal.com/72655.html
- Minecraft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minecraft
- Fan Trailer for Minecraft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=v5fS4RF3ht0&annotation_id=annotation_165689
- Animal Cannon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeV0XB-w_yM
Transcript for this show is available here