Packing for JavaOne
By Tori Wieldt-Oracle on Sep 24, 2012
While you are packing for JavaOne, here are some things to remember to bring:
While October is considered the summer in San Francisco, the heat only lasts a day or two. The fog can roll in any day, and it can be chilly (and maybe even rain).
2) Your Oracle Login
Make sure your have your Oracle.com account log in details with you when you arrive onsite in San Francisco. This is the username and password you used/created for your JavaOne 2012 registration. You'll need these to check in and get your badge as well as to gain access to My Account and Schedule Builder onsite at the event.
3) Walking Shoes
You'll want comfortable and practical shoes as this city requires lots of walking and has lots of hills.
4) Thumb Drives
When sharing cool code, nothing beats sneaker-net. That said, practice safe computing.
5) Consider Downloading a Ride-Sharing Service App
SideCar, Lyft, Uber and RelayRides are taking SF by storm, and are popular alternative to yellow taxis. These are unregulated ride-sharing services, so ride at your own risk.
Hipster Tips for SF
1) Don't call it Frisco.
2) If you wear shorts, don't complain about how cold it is.
3) Bright colored clothes are for tourists. Locals wear black.
4) The most fun ice-cream flavors in town are at Humphry-Slocombe. Check out "secret breakfast."
5) The Mission is hip.
6) Don't expect there to be a Starbuck's or anything besides a great view at the other side of the Golden Gate bridge.
7) SF has seasons, they are just more subtle.