JavaOne 2012 is happening Sept. 30-Oct 4 in San Francisco. The Call For Papers for this conference is now open. Java Evangelist Arun Gupta, who was on one of the selection committees and will be again this year, provided some great tips for submission (and a peek into the submission process):
- JavaOne is a technology-focused conference so any product, marketing or seemingly marketish talk are put at the bottom of the list. Oracle Open World and Oracle Develop are better options for submitting product specific talks.
- Make your title catchy. Remember the attendees are more likely to read the abstract if they like the title.
- We try our best to recategorize the talk to a different track if it needs to but please ensure that you are filing in the right track to have all the right eyeballs looking at it. Also, it does not hurt marking an alternate track if your talk meets the criteria.
- Make sure to coordinate within your team before the submission - multiple sessions from the same team or company does not ensure that the best speaker is picked. In such case we rely upon your "google presence" and/or review committee's prior knowledge of the speaker.
- The reviewers may not know you or your product at all and you get 750 characters to pitch your idea. Make sure to use all of them, to the last 750th character.
- Make sure to read your abstract multiple times to ensure that you are giving all the relevant information ? Think through your presentation and see if you are leaving out any important aspects. Also look if the abstract has any redundant information that will not required by the reviewers.
- There are additional sections that allow you to share information about the speaker and the presentation summary. Use them to blow the horn about yourself and any other relevant details. Please don't say "call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx to find out the details." :-)
The tracks this year are:
- Core Java Platform
- Development Tools and Techniques
- Emerging Langauges on the JVM
- Enterprise Services Architectures and the Cloud
- Java EE Web Profile and Platform Technologies
- Java ME, Java Card, Embedded, and Devices
- Java FX and Rich User Experiences
IMPORTANT: Submit your proposal as soon as possible, the the Call for Papers closes April 9th, a mere three weeks away!
Follow these channels to get the latest news about #JavaOne 2012.