What Is JavaFX?
By Tori Wieldt on Nov 01, 2011
Is JavaFX "reinvigorating the user interface on the desktop?"(1) Is it "more fun"(2) or "the best thing to happen to Java since SWT?"(3) Is it just a great tool to create animations and steampunk gear?(4) Is it all or the above? None of the above? To get answers, here are opportunities for you to find out more about JavaFX.
Nov 2-4, Ludwigsburg, Germany
Included in the Java 7 Summit, Steve Northover (aka "the father of SWT") will present JavaFX Past, Present and Future and Interop with SWT and Swing. (We hear rumors of a new JavaFX feature being unveiled!)
The Nov/Dec issue includes technical articles on how to migrate Swing interfaces to JavaFX, how to use transitions for automation in JavaFX, and an interview with Nandini Ramani, VP of Development at Oracle, about the key features of JavaFX 2.0. Subscribe for free.
Nov 14-18, Antwerp, Belgium
Included in the Java track are several sessions on JavaFX. (Devoxx is sold out, but if you can attend, don't despair. Sessions will be released on-demand on Parleys.com.)
- JavaFX 2.0 - A Java Developer's Guide by Java Champions Stephen Chin and Peter Pilgrim
- JavaFX 2.0 Hands On by Jasper Potts and Richard Bair
- Animation Bringing your User Interfaces to Life by Michael Heinrichcs and John Yoong (JavaFX development team)
- Complete guide to writing custom bindings in JavaFX 2.0 by Michael Heinrichs (JavaFX development team)
- Java Rich Clients with JavaFX 2.0 by Jasper Potts and Richard Bair
- JavaFX Properties & Bindings for Experts (and those who want to become experts) by Michael Heinrichs (JavaFX development team)
- JavaFX Under The Hood by Richard Bair
- JavaFX Open Mic with Jasper Potts and Richard Bair
So, if JavaFX is "a good RIA platform"(5) and "likely to make an impact,"(6), you'll know all about it.
(1) JavaOne 2011 Impressions
(2) JavaFX Sketch Pad: Custom Binding
(3) Top five cool things from Oracle OpenWorld/JavaOne
(4) JavaFX Animations, Steampunk Gear
(5) JavaOne's focus on the future
(6) Please Consider JavaFX 2.0 Support