Java Thriving in Oracle's hands
By Tori Wieldt-Oracle on Sep 12, 2012
IDC has published a Technology Assessment of Oracle's
stewardship of Java titled "The State of Java: Two and a Half
Years After the Acquisition." The overall IDC opinion is that
Java under Oracle's stewardship is thriving.
Report highlights include:
- The successful delivery of Java SE 7, which had been stalled at Sun Microsystems
- Articulation of realistic road maps for Java EE 7 and Java SE 8
- The healthy growth of the Java ecosystem
- The decisiveness with which Oracle handled the Apache Harmony dispute
- Key vendors joining the OpenJDK including IBM, Apple, and SAP
- More and more programming languages being hosted on the Java Virtual Machine(JVM)
- Java's role in major computing trends including Mobile, Cloud, Big Data and Social
You can access the full report here (PDF).