Java SE 8 is Now Available
By Tori Wieldt-Oracle on Mar 18, 2014
Java Platform, Standard Edition 8 (Java SE 8) is a major feature release and is now generally available. It contains new features and enhancements in many functional areas. Java SE 8 delivers enhanced developer productivity and significant application performance increases through reduced boilerplate code, improved collections and annotations, simpler parallel programming models and more efficient use of modern, multi-core processors. See What's New in JDK 8 for more details.
Download Java SE 8: JDK 8 (Java Developer Kit)
Java SE 8 Documentation
The Java SE 8 Central Resource page
Join us on March 25 for the Online Launch
Java SE 8 Features
Features and enhancements in Java SE 8 and in JDK 8, Oracle's implementation of Java SE 8 include:
• Lambda Expressions (JSR 335) - a new language feature introduced in Java SE 8. Lambdas enable you to treat functions as method arguments or code as data.
• Compact Profiles - predefined subsets of the Java SE platform that enable applications that do not require the entire Platform to be deployed and run on small devices.
• Stream API - Classes in the new java.util.stream package provide a Stream API to support functional-style (e.g. Filter/Map/Reduce) operations on streams of elements. The Stream API is integrated into the Collections API, which enables bulk operations on collections, such as sequential or parallel map-reduce transformations.
• Date & Time API (JSR 310) - a new set of packages that provide a comprehensive date-time model.
• Type Annotations (JSR 308) - provides the ability to apply an annotation anywhere a type is used, not just on a declaration. Used with a pluggable type system, this feature enables improved type checking of your code.
• Java Mission Control 5.3 –usability improvements to allow Java administrators and developers to more easily gather detailed low level information about how the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and the Java application are behaving; support for Java SE Embedded 8 (Full JRE Profile)
• JavaFX – features and enhancements include an embedded specific graphics stack, new UI controls, a Modena theme, functionality to enable developers to embed Swing content into JavaFX applications, new 3D graphics features, and additional HTML 5 support.
• Security Features and Enhancements
• … and much more.
Download Oracle JDK 8 from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
Java SE Embedded 8
Oracle has also announced today the general availability of Oracle Java SE Embedded 8. It provides a development platform for embedded devices and the Internet of Things, with all of the flexibility, portability and robust features available in the Java SE Platform.
Download Oracle Java SE Embedded 8
Oracle Java SE Embedded 8 Documentation
Learn more about Java SE Embedded 8