Java SE 7 Update 51 Released
By Tori Wieldt-Oracle on Jan 14, 2014
Java SE 7 Update 51 (Java SE 7u51) is now available. This update release contains several enhancements and changes, as well as important security fixes. Oracle strongly recommends that all Java SE 7 users upgrade to this release. For more information, see the Oracle Critical Patch Update Advisory. See the release notes for the complete list of changes in this release, including:
- Changes to Security Slider (see this blog for additional information and the Java Control Panel documentation):
- Block Self-Signed and Unsigned applets on High Security Setting
- Require Permissions Attribute for High Security Setting
- Warn users of missing Permissions Attributes for Medium Security Setting
- Exception Site List: The Exception Site List feature allows end users to run Java applets and Java Web Start applications that do not meet the latest security requirements. Rich Internet Applications that are hosted on a site in the exception site list are allowed to run with the applicable security prompts. (See this blog for additional information and the Exception Site List documentation).
- Jarsigner updated to encourage timestamping
- Prompt users to clear previously remembered decisions
- Change in Default Socket Permissions
- Change in JAXP Xalan Extension Functions
Java SE Embedded 7 Update 51 is also now available. Java SE Embedded 7 Update 51 is based on Java Development Kit 7 Update 51 (JDK 7u51) and provides specific features and support for embedded systems. See the release notes for additional details.
To learn more about this release and for information on best practices see the Java Product Group, Product Management blog.