By Tori Wieldt-Oracle on Aug 19, 2014
Java Development Kit 8, Update 20 (JDK 8u20) is now available. This latest release of the Java Platform continues to improve upon the significant advances made in the JDK 8 release with new features, security and performance optimizations. These include: new enterprise-focused administration features available in Oracle Java SE Advanced; products offering greater control of Java version compatibility; security updates; and a very useful new feature, the MSI compatible installer.
New tools, features and enhancements highlighted from JDK 8 Update 20 are:
- Advanced Management Console
The Java Advanced Management Console 1.0 (AMC) is available for use with the Oracle Java SE Advanced products. AMC employs the Deployment Rule Set (DRS) security feature, along with other functionality, to give system administrators greater and easier control in managing Java version compatibility and security updates for desktops within their enterprise and for ISVs with Java-based applications and solutions.
- MSI Enterprise JRE Installer
Available for Windows 64 and 32 bit systems in the Oracle Java SE Advanced products, the MSI compatible installer enables system administrators to provide automated, consistent installation of the JRE across all desktops in the enterprise, free of user interaction requirements.
- String de-duplication resulting in a reduced footprint
- Improved support in G1 Garbage Collection for long running apps.
- A new 'force' feature in DRS (Deployment Rule Set) which allows system administrators to specify the JRE with which an applet or Java Web Start application will run. This is useful for legacy applications so end users don't need to approve security exceptions to run.
- Java Mission Control 5.4 with new ease-of-use enhancements and launcher integration with Eclipse 4.4
- JavaFX on ARM
- Nashorn performance improvement by persisting bytecode after inital compilation
There's much more information to be found in the JDK 8u20 Release Notes.