By Yolande Poirier-Oracle on May 12, 2016
Oracle has announced today the latest releases to its Oracle Java Embedded product portfolio, Oracle Java ME Embedded 8.3 and Oracle Java ME Software Development Kit (SDK) 8.3, a complete client Java runtime and toolkit optimized for microcontrollers and other resource-constrained devices.
Release key features:
- Oracle is extending its relationship with ST Microelectronics and adds improved support for the STM32F429I-EVAL evaluation platform within Java ME Embedded 8.3. A user now has the flexibility to configure peripherals and use custom hardware configurations without the need to rebuild or retest firmware.
- Oracle and ST Microelectronics are also adding support for Java in the STM32F7 series of microcontrollers based on modern Cortex-M7 cores, which enables embedded developers to take advantage of popular Java programming features, and a developer preview for the 32F746GDISCOVERY development platform.
- The new release reinforces the Java ME Embedded 8 Security system through the implementation of Secured File System supporting a number of HW Secured Elements to protect customer data from compromise. Java ME customers can encrypt application data (MIDlets, LIBlets), application meta-data and runtime configuration. Extended the application specific filesystem structure.
- SHA256 for application signature
- Extending security API by adding HMAC support
- The platform updatability mechanism is now an essential part of Java runtime and allows in-field platform updates, leaving untouched all user applications in order to conserve demands on wireless connectivity.
- As a follow-up to the Oracle and Intel joint announcement at JavaOne 2015, Java ME Embedded 8.3 has the capability to run on Intel Galileo gen 2 developers' board
Feel free to download and evaluate Java ME Embedded 8.3 and Java ME SDK 8.3.
Java ME Embedded 8.3 http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/javame/embed-me/overview/index.html
Java ME SDK 8.3 http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/javame/javame-sdk/overview/index.html
Give us your feedback at OTN community https://community.oracle.com/community/java/java_embedded/java_me_embedded