Sun Ray Software 5.2 Released
By Jaap on May 10, 2011
Today, Oracle released a new version of Sun Ray Server software. This new version 5.2 contains some significant changes and is a further step in the integration to a full Oracle product.
The documentation is not anymore on the good old Sun Wikis website, it is migrated to the Oracle documentation system and available as pdf documents. Like the previous version, the software bundle can be downloaded from the Oracle edelivery website, I used this entry point to edelivery.
Things have also changed for System Administrators. The Sun Ray Webadmin GUI is changed to the Oracle look-and-feel (which we already know from the Oracle VDI software).
A second change for the SysAdmin is the single installer (the utsetup command) that installs the entire Sun Ray Software product on the Sun Ray server. It installs the Sun Ray server, the Windows connector, the VMware View connector and the smart card services (based on PC/SC-lite). After installing the packages, the utsetup command steps through the configuration process. A reboot of the Sun Ray server between installation of the packages and configuration of the Sun Ray server is not necessary anymore.
The utsetup command also has a feature to automate the Sun Ray server installation and configuration process. With a response-file created during your first utsetup run, you can clone the Sun Ray server setup on other servers.
Another change important for the SysAdmin is the Firmware provisioning process. In previous versions, there were two versions of the firmware delivered: non-GUI firmware and a GUI firmware. In this release, there is one firmware version and the GUI must be enabled through configuration.
Other changes visible for the end-user are (see also the Release Notes):
- Improved performance for video and audio streams on Windows XP and Windows 2003
- Audio optimization which helps for reduced bandwidth and increased scalability
- USB headset support for a specific list of USB headsets.
- Better multi-monitor support and enhancements for VPN and Networking.
The Sun Ray Server software is supported on the following operating systems platforms:
- Solaris 10 5/09 or later on SPARC and x86 platforms
- Solaris 10 5/09 or later on SPARC and x86 platforms with Solaris Trusted Extensions
- Oracle Linux 5.5 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Oracle Linux 5.6 (32-bit and 64-bit)