Activity galore at the moment, a new release of IRM 11g in the past month, the IRM Wrapper utility was born and released and now an update to the very useful HotFolders application. A feature request from a few days ago has already been written into the handy tool, allowing an integration of the IRM Wrapper and HotFolders. Essentially HotFolders monitors a folder for new files and then automatically seals them to a predefined Oracle IRM classification. However it only worked for the formats that are supported by Oracle IRM.
The IRM Wrapper however addressed the use case where people wanted to just use the Oracle IRM service to encrypt and securely deliver/store ANY file. Whilst this doesn't come with any of the superb persistent document and email security controls that ensures constant protection of IRM supported files even in use. It does mean that you can leverage the same scalable classification system in IRM to protect the transfer and storage of sensitive files. This is a nice and simple encrypted delivery mechanism, much like PGP, but with a more scalable and usable classification system behind it.
So the latest version of HotFolders, 2.2, now has the ability to wrap files in IRM encryption. This means you can now monitor a folder, and ANY file that is placed in it will be protected with Oracle IRM. Supported formats will gain persistent protection, whilst non-supported formats get wrapped with encryption. Keep an eye out on the blog, we will soon have an update to the IRM Wrapper utility as well...
As a reminder, here is the list of the functionality available in this utility.
- NEW! "Wrap" files in previously non-sealable formats using core IRM encryption/classifications
- Easy to configure
- Automatically scan and seal multiple file system folders, and sub-folders
- Warn, delete or quarantine when unable to seal
- Support for multiple IRM Servers
- Cross-platform (Java and IRM web services)
- Support for any network-accessible file system
- Easily scheduled using cron or Windows scheduler
- Configurable file and console based logging, with log rotation
- Fully internationalised (but only EN resource bundles supplied)
- Pass files over-the-wire or by relative path (far faster)
- Easy to configure, built-in scheduling
- Huge performance improvements via in-memory caching of file modification timestamps
- Automatically scan and seal SharePoint folders
- Automatically scan and seal WebDAV folders
- Automatically scan and seal web folders, content management and collaborative repositories
- Easily develop Java plugins to perform post-sealing actions
- Shovel - a file relocation plugin (return sealed files from quarantine to original locations!)
- Full source code available on samplecode.oracle.com in a CollabNet TeamForge repository that includes a Subversion version control repository - so feel free to join the project and contribute your own source code (bug fixes, features, plugins, localisations, etc.).
- Support for Oracle IRM 11g and Oracle IRM 10g servers.
- Support for secure HTTPS connections between Oracle IRM Hot Folders and Oracle IRM 11g servers.
- Checklist to guide you through the simple steps required to get Oracle IRM Hot Folders up and running.
- Support for grid deployment (Oracle IRM core and sealing servers running on different hosts)
- Optional prompting for credentials (so no need to store in configuration file)