By Irfan Ahmed on Jul 30, 2009
The Sun GlassFish Web Stack is a complete LAMP/SAMP stack available to developers and administrators for standardizing their LAMP/SAMP deployments. Sun Web Stack, in addition to a vast number of servers and components, has a Web Stack Enterprise Manager tool bundled with it. The Web Stack Enterprise Manager (WSEM) allows users to monitor various aspects of the installed servers. It is very dynamic in nature and automagically picks up the servers as and when they (the servers) are installed. Users can perform the following tasks with the WSEM:
- View graphs on various available fields for a server
- Lifecycle operations (Start, Stop and Restart) on the servers
- Enable/Disable monitoring for a server
WSEM consists of a Dashboard, an Analytics view and a Navigation panel.
This blog is about the Dashboard and the Analytics view.
The Dashboard is the main entry point into the UI. The Dashboard consists of a graphs menu that lists the available graphs for an installed server. You can select a graph from the menu and the WSEM will draw the graph, in real time, on the screen. Various graphs can be plotted in this same manner. The following is a screen shot of the some of the graphs that are available:
WSEM Analytics View
Clicking on any of the graphs or the small magnifying glass icon on the graph takes you to the Analytics view. The Analytics view is a detailed view of the graphs in the Dashboard. The Analytics view of a graph offers the following:
- Several fields monitored in a single graph.
- The fields are displayed as legends in the graph
- The fields have a selector check box which allows the users to show/hide that field in the graph.
- Data for a specified time period (hourly, daily, weekly and monthly)
- Synchronized data across various graphs.
- Each graph has a synchronized button which, when clicked, causes the other graphs to move in sync with this graph.
- Ability to view data for various blocks of time in the past.
- You can use the back  and forward  buttons to view data in that particular block of time (hourly, daily, weekly or monthly)
You can download the Web Stack along with the enterprise manager from http://www.sun.com/software/webstack/get.jsp
Go on download it and give it a shot.