Project Live\* – Software “To Go”
By Laura on Jun 03, 2008
Imagine if the configuration and software distribution within your datacenter was as simple as upgrading the firmware on your consumer device. Sun's Project Live\* [Live-Star] bridges the simplicity and ease-of-use of the firmware model with the modularity and customizability necessary in multi-purpose, multi-vendor systems.
Manczak and Stern discuss the issues leading to the creation of Project Live Star including:
- The importance of simplicity and reproducibility of device behaviors – for the end user as well as vendors dealing with product support.
- Rapidly and repeatedly building out similar “instances” in the datacenter with only minor variation among them.
- Configuring datacenter servers over time
- How Live\* addresses a datacenter buildout of thousands of machines
- Getting the entire stack to work with multiple components from multiple vendors or open source teams
- Making an underlying operating system look like firmware and packages running on it look like personalization
- Target audience
Tune in to this latest version of Innovating@Sun to hear about how Project Live\*'s new system of software delivery makes it easier to use, more reproducible, and easier to debug – thereby reducing costs in the datacenter. For up-to-date details on Project Live\*, visit the Sun Labs site and click on “Projects”.