Innovating in a Commodity Market
By Laura on Oct 08, 2007
Leveraging common components to deliver uncommon results is a cornerstone of the innovative design strategy for Sun's latest systems offering record performance, utilization, energy efficiency and system life.
In this episode of Innovating@Sun, VP of Global Systems Engineering, Hal Stern, welcomes Chief Architect of Sun's Systems Group and co-founder of the company, Andy Bechtolsheim. Bechtolsheim's talent for predicting where technology is converging and what the critical elements of design need to be is a hallmark of the products that have arisen from his work. Andy shares his thoughts on the current state of computing as well as the future in this latest podcast. Topics include:
- Delivering differentiation and value in a commodity market
- The key principles and goals behind the design of Sun's newest set of systems
- The secret behind increasing density while reducing power draw and footprint
- The benefits of shared packaging across CPU architectures
- A new breed of storage systems with highly-integrated software and hardware technologies
- How a general purpose operating system cultivates general purpose developers
- What's next on the horizon in terms of blades, supercomputers, CPU speeds, and more.