Oracle Linux team is happy to announce general availability of Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel Release 4 for Oracle Linux 6 and Oracle Linux 7.
- The release is based on the 4.1 mainline kernel, delivers many important new features and enhancements engineered for modern cloud infrastructure.
- Significant performance improvements through enhancements to features like automatic NUMA balancing and CPU schedulers, and the introduction of new features like zswap, zram, the LZ4 compression algorithm, network batch transmissions and low-latency network polling.
- Real-time kernel and userspace patching with Ksplice for Oracle Linux to simplify managing cloud infrastructure and improve security. Kpslice is offered free with Oracle Linux Premier Support or Oracle Premier Support for Systems
- Support for key cloud technologies. Xen host and guest domain feature and performance enhancements, Open vSwitch and VXLAN improvements for networking, cgroups and namespace enhancements for linux containers and Docker.
- Enhancements to Oracle Linux DTrace for dynamic, real-time system tracing on production systems
This has been a major engineering effort that can benefit every Oracle Linux customer. For more information about release notes and additional features, please refer to this blog.