Phil Becker: Third Wave of Digital Identity
By identity on Sep 24, 2007
As the first keynote speaker at Digital Identity World, Phil Becker proposed that we will soon enter a "Third wave of Digital Identity, driven by the demand for:
- Promiscuous interconnectivity and user empowerment (self service)
- Large scale, that reveals the need to modularize solutions and have interoperability standards
- The need to interconnect and network Identity systems
- The natural state of Identity is decentralized
- The concept that we can centralize identity data on any large scale has been found wanting
- How can we manage and leverage identity while respecting its decentralized nature?
- Greatly increased networking between Identity Management domains
- Emergence of compelling Identity based user experience driven applications
This trend towards Identity-based, user-experience-focused applications will be a realization of a trend that Phil explained earlier in the session, that we are in the midst of a transformation of the prevailing information security paradigm from "Keep out Unauthorized" to "Allow Access by Authorized." Reminds me of a blog I posted several months ago: "Use Identity Brakes to go Fast."