A Time to Remember
By Jeff Cheeney on Oct 09, 2008
- A Time to Remember
- “Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.” - Deuteronomy 4:9 – New Internal Version
- This is my last blog post as a Sun employee and is a great opportunity to remember. To remember the people that helped make Sun a wonderful place to work – more appropriately a wonderful family. It is also a time to refresh the memories of past lessons.
- Let's start with the people. From the early days in Colorado Springs, folks like Dale, Mike, Lynn, Paul, Rick and Lou. Then there were people while I was helping with Sun Education. Dave, Howard, Siusaidh, and many others. That brings me to the past 11 years with Solaris. There have been so many great folks I could never mention them all. The great managers: Fred, Bev, Eric, Dave, Barry, Martie, Bijan. The stellar program managers: Gina, Reg, Eoin, Tina, Ann. And of course the amazing engineers: Sanjay, Jeff, Mark (at least 4 of them), Susan, James, Jean, Tony, Steve (x2), Moriah, Tom, and so many more. Then to OpenSolaris friends: Deirdre, Jim, Tim, Glynn, Theresa, Kelli and the community Ben, Dave and again many more.
- It is because of all of these folks that I was able to do anything. They provided support, encouragement, kicks in the butt, prayer. They were all there to support the initiatives and move forward the relationships. I cherish these folks and the little bits they gave to me over the 14 years here at Sun.
- This company has been home for over 14 years. My eyes have seen many things and there are many lessons that I plan to pass on to my children. Lessons like:
- lend a hand to someone in need
- stay what you mean and mean what you say
- care about people and they will in turn care about you
- a simple smile goes a long way to smoothing a difficult conversation
- new ideas are always waiting to be found, you just have to find the friend to help uncover them
- if you listen, your voice can be very loud
- In all this has been a great time. Many wonderful memories, just as many friends and a very exciting future.
- While leaving the group and the OS I love is not easy, the OpenSolaris Storage community in great hands, Peter, Lynn, Paul and Deirdre will serve it well. I look forward to the exciting innovations becoming realities and plan to watch very closely.
- With this I bid you Peace,
PS: If any of you care to follow me and my thoughts my new blog will be jscusc.blogspot.com