Friday Sep 26, 2008
Friday Jul 11, 2008
By Jeff Cheeney on Jul 11, 2008
- Happenings in the OpenSolaris Storage Community
- This has been a crazy week. I've been running around trying to keep from having too many tasks fall on the floor. Unfortunately I don't think I'm doing very well. I'm sure way too many things didn't get done ... but let's quickly catch up on what good things did happen:
- Project Celeste is now live and Roger Meike blogged a very nice overview.
- The OpenSolaris storage page and ZFS community are now localized! If you read Spanish, French, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese or Simplified Chinese, check out the storage translations or ZFS translations pages.
- The ZFS community was spotlighted on the main opensolaris.org site. The ZFS Crypto project also received a mention.
- I also posted some statistics on how the Storage community has been growing over the past year. The presentations is available from slideshare.net.
- Dominc Kay's whitepaper on “ Configuring J4000 and ZFS in 10 minutes” is available on Sun BluePrints wiki. This blueprint was also in support of the launch of the new J4000 arrays and the ultra cool Thumper v2 (my term, not endorsed my marketing)
- With all this going on, and having some good friends no longer working at Sun –enjoy retirement Mike, I guess it has been a pretty full week.
- Until next time ....
Friday Jun 13, 2008
By Jeff Cheeney on Jun 13, 2008
- Over the past few weeks information about a great new storage feature in OpenSolaris has been trickling out. The feature is COMSTAR (COMSTAR = COmmon Multiprotocol SCSI TARget). To learn more about COMSTAR the OpenSolaris project page include a number of videos and an outstanding administration guide.
- I personally had the chance to play with COMSTAR a few weeks back and found it simply amazing. It was so cool being able to create a ZFS volume and share it to a windows host in around 10 minutes. I wrote up my experience in this presentation. There is a chance the presentation as given to the Front Range OpenSolaris User group may soon be a video.
- Some other interesting reading about COMSTAR are:
- Scott Tracy's Blog post –Versatility
- Lynn Rohrer's Blog post -Cheap arrays with COMSTAR and you spare servers
- Dan Maslowski's Blog post – COMSTAR PR
- Sumit Gupta's Blog post - COMSTAR integrated into Solaris Nevada Build 90
- There was also the press coverage:
- ComputerWorld article - New Sun code transforms x86 servers into storage arrays
- Blocks & Files - Sun taking on LeftHand with open source IP SAN code
- System News Blog post - OpenSolaris Project: COMSTAR - COmmon Multiprotocol SCSI TARget
- I'm sure the excitement is just getting started and I really look forward to how this technology will be used in a future product ...
Here I am writing about the OS I love. Trying to show other people how cool the innovations are in [Open]Solaris.
No bookmarks in folder