there are renew talk about openesource solaris now, this is a good thing.
From the experience fron BSD and now GNU/LINUX , apache project, we see many benefit from opensource project.
There are many more project at SUN, IMHO, can be opensource:
- How to write x86 Drivers
- How to write a module for particular HW in Sun Control Station
- How to write module in N1Grid SPS SW
- How to write Cluster agent in Sun Cluster (SunPlex agent Builder fill the major gap already)
- How to write module in SunMC for different OS and HW
why open source
Open source project force project team to explain thing to much large audience
- more user can contribute to project that project team does not have the resource to do
- more user feel that they have more control on the product that they relay on for their business
- win win situation
- one can almost use the situation "free world" vs "not free world" arguement for open source