By: Ina Baeumer, Senior Solutions Manager, Hotel
Despite its size, the range of capabilities of the function diary in the MICROS OPERA Sales and Catering solution is extremely impressive. If you are not familiar with this feature, the function diary is a graphical display of events that offers multiple viewing options and drill down features for in-depth details ideal for conference centers, catering, and event management. It is a wonderful tool that simplifies the life of a catering and events manager, and because of its small window size, is often underestimated. So I am here to tell you: do not let its size fool you! Check out the following tips for using the MICROS OPERA function diary to your greatest advantage.
- 18 function spaces viewable at a time; these spaces are color-coded by room type.
- A variety of timeline views (5hour, 10 hour, 1 day, 5 days, 7 days, and 21 days).
- The option to prohibit status codes from displaying.
- Color-coded events by status (shared, exclusive, or catering only blocks).
- An easily accessible event overview that shows information like linked profiles, number of attendees, and setup style.
- Out of service spaces.
- Non-compete and rate protection groups indicated by day.
A view of the MICROS OPERA function diary with the easily accessible event overview.
Not So Obvious Advantages:
- Easy access to the event waitlist and all areas of the booking just by clicking on the event.
- The ability to view room and space availability on one screen with multi-day viewing options.
- Direct access to the group rooms control feature.
- The ability to filter spaces by type, location, area, or attendees.
- Access to the function space details.
- The ability to move an event by simply dragging and dropping.
- Multiple options for booking a new event when accessing a block.
- The ability to view multiple dates by day of the week (ie the ability to view Saturdays only).
- The ability to view events by number of attendees and setup style.
- The ability to view the available spaces for multiple properties at once.
Utilizing the Function Diary Day to Day: A Few Examples
When working in MICROS OPERA Sales and Catering on a day to day basis, I suggest working primarily through the function diary.
- If a client wants add a flipchart to an event, look for the event in the diary from which you can access event resources. When accessed this way, you no longer have to look up the account, then the block, and then the specific event. The function diary simplifies this process.
- If a client wants to quickly reserve an event space, mark the specified start and end time in the diary. Then you have the option of creating a completely new block and entering additional information right away, or creating a "quick event" that you can modify at a later time.
- If the client’s phone number has changed, choose their event from the diary and click on the contact button. You have full access to the contact profile screen from here.
- If the client would like a revised contract, highlight the event and click on the block. Make changes to rooms and event details and generate the new contract.
The options are limitless and are often underestimated due to the size of the screen. Give it a try and experience the MICROS OPERA function diary from a new perspective. You will see that it is indeed small but mighty.
**We have taken the small screen size of the Diary Function into consideration for the next generation of OPERA (while keeping its mighty functionality).**
Have any additional questions? We love to hear from you. Contact us at email@example.com .