By kgee on Feb 01, 2014
Since their introduction last year, Oracle's T5 servers have topped performance metrics across enterprise workloads. The SPARC T5 server has just shattered another world record (see the latest SPECjEnterprise2010 2-socket benchmark result). In that test, the SPARC T5-2 server:
- Showed the best performance per socket for a single system in the application tier (1)
- Demonstrated 1.5 times higher performance compared to Oracle’s 2-socket Sun Server X4-2 systems, running Intel's E5-2600 v2 series processor (Ivy Bridge) (1)
- Delivered 29% better performance (1) and 20% better price performance compared to a two-socket IBM PowerLinux POWER7+ processor-based server (2)
Another piece of good news is that Oracle is announcing that the SPARC T5-2 server is now offered in a single-processor configuration, making it easier to adopt Oracle's latest technology - see details here. Customers will now have options for deploying T5-based servers starting with 16 and going up to 128 cores. Complementing this server line-up, the SPARC T4-1 server provides an entry-level configuration with 8 cores, while the SPARC M6-32 system provides massive scalability up to 384 cores.
(1) Results from www.spec.org as of 1/22/2014. SPARC T5-2, 17,033.54 SPECjEnterprise2010 EjOPS; IBM PowerLinux 7R2, 13,161.07 SPECjEnterprise2010 EjOPS; Sun Server X4-2, 11,259.88 SPECjEnterprise2010 EjOPS. The SPARC T5-2 server result represents the best performance per socket for a single system in the application tier of 8,516.77 SPECjEnterprise2010 EjOPS per socket. SPEC and the benchmark name SPECjEnterprise are registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation.
(2) SPARC T5-2 configuration: Java EE server, 1 SPARC T5-2 server, 2 chips, 3.6 GHz SPARC T5, Oracle WebLogic 12c (12.1.2); Database server, 1 SPARC T5-2 server, 2 chips, 3.6 GHz SPARC T5, Oracle Database 12c (22.214.171.124). The SPARC T5-2 configuration cost is the total application and database server hardware plus software. List price is $613,052 from http://www.oracle.com as of 1/22/2014. IBM PowerLinux 7R2 configuration: Java EE server, 1 IBM PowerLinux 7R2, 2 chips, 4.2 GHz Power 7+, WebSphere Application Server V8.5; Database server: 1 IBM PowerLinux 7R2, 2 chips, 4.2 GHz Power 7+, IBM DB2 10.1 FP2. The IBM PowerLinux 7R2 configuration total hardware plus software list price is $588,970 based on public pricing from http://www.ibm.com as of 1/22/2014. Pricing does not include database storage hardware for IBM or Oracle. Oracle, Solaris, and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates.