JXTA Micro Edition MIDP-2.0
By hamada on Jan 29, 2008
Last Wednesday (January 23rd), JXTA Micro Edition MIDP-2.0 was open sourced under http://jxta-jxme.dev.java.net. Up until now JXTA on mobile devices had been pretty limited in functionality, however with the introduction of this new binding, a mobile device can participate fully as an edge device on the network without the need of a proxy. So what does this mean you ask?
With this new binding, a mobile device can :
- Discover other devices and services
- Publish advertisements about it's own resources
- Establish direct connections to any other node
- Create/Join private virtual domains
- Exchange/Access content within the domain without the need of a central server(s)/service(s)
Imagine audio streaming from a home machine to a phone, or contact and calendar syncing within a virtual domain (home, office, and mobile), or true mobile-2-mobile gaming. Imagine no further, the networking foundation is now available to enable such capabilities.