I've just published a new Oracle white paper which is a case study in redeveloping a Forms application using Oracle ADF. This paper covers topics such as design decisions, architecture, best practice, coding standards we well as showing common mappings of Oracle Forms features to Oracle ADF.
The paper is accompanied with a sample application and schema. There is also an overview demonstration or you can get all of these links from the main demo page.
There were a number of motivating factors behind initiating this project:
- We wanted to have a document of some best practices/roadmap
- It was an opportunity to show how you might design things slightly differently in ADF vs Forms
- We wanted to document the experiences of a redevelopment project
- We wanted to show how common Forms features would be redeveloped in Oracle ADF
- As an internal exercise we wanted to find bugs/holes in ADF where we could add framework functionality
- The project could act as a "example" of a reimplemented application (to compare against tool generated migration)
- It is a "living" project in which we can learn and add new features
Please feel free to post any common on the application here, or on the OTN forum using the subject "SummitADF".
If you are considering your future options with respect to an existing Oracle Forms application and Oracle ADF, I'd also suggest reading this paper.