Wednesday Oct 14, 2015
Thursday Nov 24, 2011
By Grant Ronald-Oracle on Nov 24, 2011
The question about migrating Forms to Java (or ADF or APEX) comes up time and time again. I wanted to pull some core information together in a single blog post to address this question.
The first question I always ask is "WHY" - Forms may still be a viable option for you so "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Bottom line is whatever anyone tells you, its going to be a considerable effort and cost to migrate from Forms to something else so the business is going to want to know WHY you spend all those hard earned dollars switching from something that might have been serving you quite adequately.
Second point, if you are going to switch, I would encourage you NOT to look at building a Forms clone. So many times I see people trying to build an ADF application and EXACTLY mimic the Forms model - ADF is NOT a Forms clone. You should be building to the sweet spot of your target technology, not your 20 year old client/server technology. This is also the chance for the business to embrace change, so maybe look at new processes, channels and technology options that weren't available when you first developed your Forms applications.
To help you understand what is involved, I've put together a number of resources.
- Thinking about migration of Forms to Java, ADF or APEX, read this to prepare yourself
- Oracle Forms to ADF: When, Why and How - this gives you an overview of our vision, directly from Oracle Product Management
- Redeveloping a Forms Application with Oracle JDeveloper and Oracle ADF. This is a conference session from myself and Lynn Munsinger on how ADF can be used in a Forms migration/rewrite
Wednesday Sep 15, 2010
By Grant Ronald-Oracle on Sep 15, 2010
Tips, Tricks, Events and Information around Oracle JDeveloper, ADF, and Oracle Forms
- Getting up to speed on Oracle tech with a little help from Packt
- Got Oracle Forms? Get to UKOUG Tech15 Conference.
- Calling on Forms Bods in the UK - even for you!
- Oracle Alta UI paper published in UKOUG Magazine
- How to debug the HTML in Oracle MAF Applications
- UKOUG Most Read Article Award
- Video Interview of Oracle Mobile Customer
- Oracle MAF reviewed by Analyst Gigacom
- Oracle Mobile Partner Event, Europe 2015
- The world is going mobile..surprise surprise!